Winter is one of my favourite seasons. It’s cold, wet and windy outside while it’s warm and snuggly inside. It’s the perfect weather for curling up with a good book (or piles of books if you’re like me) and forgetting how wild it is outside. You can hide under a pile of blankets and escape to another world and make some new friends . Another perfect activity for a wintery weekend or a wet holiday is getting comfy on the couch and watching a DVD. I like all sorts of movies from Shrek to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to Transformers and we have heaps of great DVDs that you can borrow from the library.
What is your favourite Winter activity? Is it something you can do inside or outside?
At the library we’re all ready for Christmas – the tree and decorations are up, and the Christmas books are out on the shelf waiting for you to come and pick them up.
We have all sorts of Christmas books, in the library. There are books about Christmas cooking and crafts, and lots of stories about Christmas. Here are just some of the things you could make using books from the library
You could even listen to some nice Christmas music from Merry Christmas Baby or Still the Best Christmas Album in the World while you work.
For more Christmas books to enjoy and some fun Christmas websites check out our Christmas page on the Kids website.
It has been announced that schools in Christchurch won’t reopen just yet, so that means that you have extra days off school - so you’ll need to find something to do to keep you busy.
Here’s some ideas of things you could do:
- Read a book. Hopefully you’ve got some library books or your own books you can read.
- Play a board game or card game inside with your family.
- Check out some of the cool kid-friendly websites on our Kids pages. You could play some of the BBC history games, learn how to draw, or read some interviews with great New Zealand authors and illustrators.
- Check out our September Star Author, Brian Falkner. Read about his trip to Australia or ask him a question about his books.
- Write a story or poem, or post a comment here about what you’re doing to fill in your time.
What are you doing with your extra days off school? Whatever you do, stay safe.
It’s been a horrible week here in Christchurch and the weekend doesn’t look like it’s going to be much better. You’re probably going to be stuck inside for most of the weekend so here’s some ideas for things you could do to keep you from getting bored:
- Come to the library. We have lots of books, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks and magazines you can take home and look at while you’re cuddled on the couch with a nice cup of hot chocolate.
- Bake something yummy with your family. You could bake a cake, biscuits, muffins or cupcakes. We have lots of cookbooks in the library if you want some ideas.
- Get crafty. You could do some painting, drawing, colouring, make paper planes, draw some cool cartoons or knit a scarf. There are lots of ideas on our Craft page on the Internet Gateway.
- Play some board games with your family. There are so many different ones to play, from chess to battleships, and Scrabble to Monopoly.
- Write a fantastic story and we could publish it on the blog. You might be the next J K Rowling!
If you have any other brilliant ideas for spending a wet, cold weekend inside, post a comment and let us know. Have a fun-filled weekend!