This is the second of our weekly Summertime Reading Club challenges. Each week we’ll set you a challenge and you have to comment on the challenge post to go in the draw for the weekly prize, a $50 PaperPlus voucher and a Hoyts movie pass. We’ll draw the winner on Thursday and announce the winner on Friday when the next challenge is posted.
Congratulations to last week’s winner – Ben.
Week 2 Challenge
Leave a comment telling us:
Which author would you most like to meet?
If you could ask them one question what would it be?
Make sure you leave your name and email address as well so that we can contact you if you win.
See below for terms and conditions Read the rest of this entry »
The school holidays are the best time to read as much as possible, especially when it’s cold and wet outside. Any time you need something new and exciting to read or a DVD to watch you can come into the library. A really cool activity that we have in the library these holidays is the Winter Reading Club. You can choose the challenges that you’d like to do and if you’re one of the lucky ones you might even get a mini prize pack.
Here on the Christchurch Kids Blog we’re giving you the chance to win a stack of books to keep you busy during the holidays. Each week during the holidays you can enter to win a Winter Reading book pack, containing 7 great books.
Last week’s winner was Connor. Make sure you enter this week for your chance to win some great books!
Yay – holidays! The only problem with the holidays is figuring out what to do, so we’re here to help fight boredom with the BIGGEST list of ideas. You can help us add to the list as well by telling us what you’re doing.
- Go to the library. You can get books to read when you’re wrapped up warm inside, DVDs to watch on a rainy day, audiobooks to listen to in the car, plus heaps more. Find out about the libraries that are open.
- Enter our Make-a-monster, invent-a-demon Star Author Competition here on the blog.
- Walk around the Botanic Gardens and have fun in amongst the trees. There are lots of great places to hide or you could have a leaf fight.
- Go to your local park and play on the playground or have a game with your friends. Take a ball or a frisbee and use up all your energy.
- Go swimming at one of the Christchurch City Council pools - Pioneer Leisure Centre and Jellie Park are still open.
- Go and see some of the cool movies on these holidays. There’s the last Harry Potter movie, Deathly Hallows Part 2, Cars 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, or Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- Play some board games or card games with your friends and family. You can even make your own and challenge your friends.
- Make your own book trailer for your favourite book. All you need is PowerPoint, Movie Maker and a bit of creativity. Here are some instructions to get you started.
- Write a story or a poem and send it through to us and we could publish it on the blog.
- Bake something yummy like a cake or some biscuits. Check out our books on baking.
- Learn a new skill like magic tricks, juggling, skateboarding or knitting.
- Go to a KidsFest activity. There are heaps on around the city and we have some great FREE events in the library, including Pandemonium at the Library and The Adventures of Tintin story readings.
If you have any other cool ideas, especially ones that are free, add a comment and let us know.
The school holidays are only a week and a half away and I’m sure you’re all looking forward to having some time to relax and have some fun. One of the best things about the Winter school holidays is KidsFest because there’s so much going on and so many cool things you can do, from playing different sports and experimenting with science to watching a play or learning how to cook.
This year’s theme is Community, so get out and have fun in your community at some of the cool events that are planned. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- The Breeze Light and Flight Lantern Parade – Make your own lantern, bring a torch or something that lights up and come along to join the parade with the Kids Samba Band, Coolstuff, the KidsFest car and much more.
- The Press Dogs Day Out – Bring along your pet pooch or pedigree and join in the fun with competitions, pimp my pooch, demonstrations, doggy stalls, food, rides, live music and a grand canine parade!
- Dust off your singing voice, fine tune your fancy footwork or show us your special talent in the Singapore Airline’s StarFest, a talent quest with three heats and a grand final.
KidsFest is on in Christchurch from 16-30 July. Have a look at the KidsFest website to find out what’s on our pick up a brochure from your library.
Are you going to any KidsFest events? We’d like to know what you’re looking forward to.