In just about every book you read there are heroes and villains. What makes someone a hero though? Do they have a superpower and save the world or are they an ordinary kid who stands up for what they believe in? The NZ Book Month team have created a list of the Top 5 Heroes and Heroines for boys and girls from books. Some are muggles and others have magic running through their veins.
The Top 5 Heroes for boys are:
- Harry Potter from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- John and Roger from Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome
- Adrian Mole from The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend
- Charlie Bucket from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Greg Heffley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
The Top 5 Heroines for girls are:
- Alice from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Pauline, Petrova and Posy Fossil from Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild
- Pippi Longstocking from Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
- Jane Blonde from the Jane Blonde series by Jill Marshall
Who’s your favourite book hero or heroine? What makes them so special?