For my latest book I’ve been researching a lot of history, right back to 1096 AD when the Crusading Knights left Europe and retook Jerusalem. Did you know that before the First Crusade there was a People’s Crusade that was made up of fewer knights and many pilgrims including women and children. Around 40 000 left on that pilgrimage (they weren’t called Crusades back then) and they were wiped out in what is now Turkey.
Is there any moment in history that you find interesting or inspiring?
How about one of these:
* Signing the Treaty of Waitangi
* Discovery of New Zealand by Tasman, Cook or Polynesian voyager
* The First or Second World War
* King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
* Rome and the Roman Empire
* The Ancient Greeks
* The Ice Age – men lived alongside mammoth, sabre tooth, giant sloths etc. (I wrote a teen series set in this period – The Chronicles of Stone.
* Early settlers in New Zealand or Australia
* First powered flight by the Wright brothers or Richard Pearce
History offers some great material for writing. So does the future. Perhaps I’ll write something about this on my next blog.